New mobile app to drive action towards the realisation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals
In September the GSMA, in collaboration with the United Nations and Project Everyone, launched the ‘SGDs in Action’ app. The app is designed to increase awareness of and engagement with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through providing a global forum “through which industry, governments and individual citizens can collectively realise the promise of the SDGs.”
The UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, featuring the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, was unanimously adopted by world leaders at a historic UN summit in September 2015. By aligning national priorities with the 2030 Agenda and collaborating with the private sector and civil society, governments have started mobilising efforts to end poverty, address inequalities and combat climate change by 2030.
Mats Granryd, Director General at GSMA, said the agenda set out by the SDGs is “far reaching and ambitious”, and believes that “mobile networks have the power to accelerate this journey in a way that no other technology can. And through the partnership with the United Nations and Project Everyone, we are able to engage industry, governments and individuals in working together to achieve the SDGs.”
The SDGs in Action app features:
- Detailed information about each of the 17 goals, including targets, explanatory videos, key facts and figures, and suggestions on how you can help achieve them take action.
- The latest sustainable development news from around the world. See how innovation is helping to achieve the goals, interact with global citizens around the world and see the latest news.
- The ability to choose what goals are important to you and receive notifications about that goal.
- Access to the World’s Largest Lesson explaining each of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Find actions and events near you that you can join to support the goals.
- The ability to create Actions you’re planning in your area, and invite others to join.
“The app will bring the Goals closer to people and help make them more understandable and relatable to everyday life,” said Cristina Gallach, the UN Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information. “So many people and groups around the world are already undertaking innovative projects in support of the Goals. What is special about this app is that it connects people and activists who want to make a difference in this world.”
Download the app here: https://sdgsinaction.com/
IMAGE SOURCE: SDGs in Action